Storytelling Workshop - 2 Days with Diane Millis
UPDATE: Spiritual Directors International is delighted to announce that Diane Millis’ popular storytelling workshop will be presented on both the East and West Coast of the United States in 2019. Long-time SDI-member, Diane Millis is an author and educator as well as an experienced spiritual companion. Under the new agreement with SDI, Diane will work closely with staff on future educational and writing projects. Watch our website for details of her upcoming coastal workshops. Meantime …
“Storytelling & Spiritual Direction: Mining the Meaning of the Stories We Tell” will take place October 11 and 12, 2018. SDI members who sign up now will pay only $240. There is also a student rate of $195.
We are the story we tell ourselves. If we aspire to be more fully alive, we must learn to tell a more life-giving story.
What’s your story? It’s a question we are often asked in everyday conversations, and one that is of primary concern to those of us in the ministry of spiritual companionship. One of the primary reasons that people seek out a spiritual director/companion is they need help making meaning of their story, that is, nurturing awareness of how God - or however they define the ground of all being - is at work in their lives.
In this workshop, Dr. Diane Millis will introduce us to three different stances for mining the meaning of a life story, and the role that a spiritual director/companion can play in facilitating a directee's movement from one stance to the next:
- Discover the story you are currently telling yourself;
- Develop your capacity to re-author your story through the telling of alternative stories;
- Discern the story that is waiting to be told by you and through your life.
During the two-day workshop, participants will go through these three stances, discovering the story each of us is currently authoring about our lives and then using contemplative practice (prayer, meditation, silence) to consider a more life-giving story waiting to be told. Please join us!
The training will be from 9am to 4pm Thursday and Friday, October 11-12, 2018.
It will take place at the Coeur de Catherine (CDC) Building at St. Catherine University in St. Paul, Minnesota. The address is 2004 Randolph Ave., St.Paul, MN 55105. See map here.
Diane enjoys offering presentations, retreats, and workshops related to the themes of her books, Conversation–the Sacred Art: Practicing Presence in an Age of Distraction (SkyLight Paths, 2013) and Deepening Engagement: Essential Wisdom for Listening and Leading with Purpose, Meaning, and Joy (SkyLight Paths , 2015).
Diane holds a B.A. and M.A. in Communication Studies and a Ph.D. in Family Studies from the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Minnesota. Since completing her doctorate, she has studied theology and trained in spiritual direction, retreat direction, and the practice of interfaith dialogue. Diane has taught at a number of schools including the University of Minnesota , College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University, and Saint Catherine University (MN). She currently teaches at United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities.
Dr. Millis works with leaders, small groups, and communities to increase their capacity to communicate more authentically.
These all come from participants of previous story-telling workshops led by Diane:
- · “This presenter was outstanding, simply the best I have ever heard and I have attended hundreds of these kinds of things. She was engaging, organized in her materials, and very, very qualified.”
- · “Her presentation and process were very good and helped me see how important telling our story is for spiritual direction.”
- · “Valuable both personally and professionally.”
- · “This workshop helps me to use the story the seeker tells me as a way into a deeper meaning.”
- · “Clear presentation and love of her subject.”
- · “Excellent content, presentation, interaction with participants.”
- · “Best workshop [of the SDI Conference in St. Louis] ...outstanding.”
- · “This was one of the most enjoyable and meaningful parts of conference for me - a gift to bring home to continue to challenge me and discovery around our story and narrative.”
- · “Diane is a very personable presenters. Presents in engaging way - provided stimulating information with lots of practical applications and a bit of dyad sharing. “
- · “So nice to be in a workshop with someone who can teach well.”
- · “One of the best! Not only were there insights, but ‘how to’ as well.”
- · “Diane did a wonderful job. And gave me some food for thought to take home in ‘writing the chapters of our story.’"
- · “Diane's workshop was brilliant. Wonderful content and very well presented.”
- · “Incredibly meaningful! Presented well! Good balance of presenting and sharing with neighbor! Excellent!”
- · “Diane Millis was superb. Her presentation, content and aliveness were all exemplary."
- · “I wish I could have spent a day-long intensive with her!”
October 5, 2018
Member Rate: USD$240
Non-Member Rate: USD$340
Student Rate: USD$195 (Please note that there are limited slots open for students in this workshop. We strongly suggest that students interested in participating apply early.)
Important: A one-time registration fee of USD$50 is included in this price. This fee of $50 is not refundable.
Apply for scholarship here
If you need extra information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org