For more information, click a link below, or scroll down.
- What is the purpose of the Seek and Find Guide?
- How can I be included in the Seek and Find Guide?
- What information will my listing show?
- I’m a member, but I don’t see my name in the Seek and Find Guide. Why would this be?
- How often is the Seek and Find Guide updated?
- I want to share my comments and suggestions. Who can I contact?
- Why aren’t e-mail addresses listed for every spiritual director?
- How can I submit a correction for my listing?
- I am having problems viewing the map. What should I do?
Can't find the answer to your question? Feel free to contact us—we are always ready to assist you with any questions you may have in mind.
1. What is the purpose of the Seek and Find Guide?
Remember when you first sought a spiritual director? SDI’s desire is to provide an easy, inviting way for seekers to find and contact a spiritual director. Often, this a vulnerable time for a seeker. Therefore, SDI asks that all spiritual directors listed in the Seek and Find Guide respond to inquiries within forty-eight hours and invite seekers to interview at least one other spiritual director during their search process, if appropriate.
The Seek and Find Guide will only list spiritual directors open to receiving new directees. Many members of SDI are not actively available for spiritual direction. If you are not available to seekers and new directees, please remove your name from the Seek and Find Guide. Some reasons you may not want your name listed:
- You are an intern in formation.
- You are a busy faculty member.
- Your current time availability does not allow for new directees.
- You are retired from offering spiritual direction.
- You do not want to receive inquiries about spiritual direction from the general public.
Even if you remove your name from the Seek and Find Guide, you remain a full member of SDI.
If you are a member of SDI and are available to provide spiritual direction, you are able to be listed in the Seek and Find Guide if choose to be.
If you are not a member of SDI, you are welcome to become a member and have your name listed in the Seek and Find Guide!
3. What information will my listing show?
The basic information displayed will be your name, spiritual affiliation, city, province/state/territory, country, postal code, telephone number, languages, and websites.
If you would like to say more, you can purchase an expanded listing for an additional USD$25.00 per year. This service provides you with space for up to one-hundred extra words, allowing you to share much more about your ministry.
For example, you can include things such as:
- a description of your ministry
- your e-mail address or website
- your formation and training program name(s)
- the days or times you are available for spiritual direction
- whether you are available as a trained supervisor
In the past, some members indicated that they did not want their name to appear in lists or directories. In keeping with their wishes, we have not included those people in the Seek and Find Guide. Also, members who have indicated that they were not currently available for spiritual direction are also not included in the Seek and Find Guide. Only currently available spiritual directors are included in the Seek and Find Guide.
It is easy to have your name added. If you are a member, please use the profile update form to indicated that you do want to be in the Seek and Find Guide and that you are available for spiritual direction.
Finally, only active members will appear in the Seek and Find Guide. If you sent your Seek and Find Guide update form, waited a week for the website to be updated, and you still do not see your name listed, your membership may have lapsed. You can find your membership renewal date on the address label of our latest mailings to you. If your membership has lapsed, you will need to renew your membership.
If you are an active member who has sent an update form and still are not finding your listing, please contact the office.
5. How often is the Seek and Find Guide updated?
The online Seek and Find Guide will be updated regularly to add new spiritual directors and to accommodate spiritual directors who make changes to their free basic listing. A reason for changes might include a change in telephone number or taking your name off the list when you are not currently available for spiritual direction due to an extended time of sabbatical, vacation, illness, or other reasons.
If you have comments or suggestions, you may contact the office by telephone or e-mail.
Unfortunately, when e-mail addresses are listed, members receive unwanted spam and solicitations. This is partially why the option for an e-mail contact is offered only as part of an expanded listing. With an expanded listing, a member can choose to add their e-mail, along with any text that is intended to help seekers.
SDI also encourages a personal pastoral telephone conversation between a seeker and potential spiritual directors to help promote a safe and meaningful first encounter. The telephone may or may not be safer than e-mail, but it does appear to be more pastoral.
If you are having problems viewing the map, please visit the Seek and Find Guide Instructions page for more information.