Welcome to Discover newsletter! Your monthly resource for staying up to date and connected.
Share your Wisdom
You are what makes SDI a unique and welcoming community! We want to hear from you and encourage you to share your wisdom by answering a question each month. We are listening. Before 30 April, we want to hear from you!
How does spiritual direction invite community and conversation with people who might be defined as a “stranger” or “other”? Share your response now.
Have you received the latest issue of Presence? What was your favorite article? What insight did it give you? Send your thoughts to the editor, Nick Wagner, firstname.lastname@example.org and to the executive director, Anil Singh-Molares, email@example.com.
Each month, SDI features a resource you can incorporate in your spiritual care for yourself and others.
- Alfred DePew and Mary Waskowiak, RSM, address differences and similarities between spiritual direction and coaching
Questions this video addresses:
- What similarities exist between spiritual direction and coaching?
- How does listening apply in a variety of helping relationships?
- What tools exists in other helping modalities that might be applicable for a spiritual seeker?
You need ongoing education in flexible, affordable formats, and SDI is the place to learn.
Stream Seeking Connection!
The Seeking Connection educational events in Toronto, Ontario, Canada kick of later this month. Are you still interested in participating but can’t make it to Toronto? Register for the live streaming option! Included in the streaming package are:
- All plenary sessions, live streamed
- Four workshops selected by SDI, live streamed
- F5. Group Spiritual Direction: Teaching Contemplative Skills for Connecting Participants in Small Groups
- F8. The Sacred Work of Being Human
- S5. Spiritual Direction as an Enabler of Social Change
- S9. Can We Talk: The Spiritual Response of Community Companions to the Disconnection of Trauma
- On demand streaming video recordings following the event from 20 April–15 May
Online registration for in-person and streaming registration closes 7 April—don’t wait, register today!
Free Seeker Teleconference: 16 May
As a seeker, are you curious about spiritual direction? Would you like to find a spiritual companion to help you listen for the ways God is inviting you to become more fully alive? Learn how to take the first step with Ryan Kuja and spiritual seekers around the world during a free teleconference on 16 May. RSVP today!
E-mail your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight Pacific Standard Time 16 April and be entered to win an SDI goodie! The winner* will be notified 17 April and announced in the following month's issue of Discover.
As part of our commitment to environmental stewardship, SDI plants trees around the world. This month, we will be planting a new tree at Loyola House in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, during the contemplative retreat. Name one other place SDI has planted a tree. HINT: dig around the website for some clues!
Our March winner was Linda Kelly, who received an SDI tote bag. Congratulations, Linda!
*Winner will be selected by a random-name-picker tool.
GRAPHIC DESIGNER WANTED
SDI member Yoda Christou is looking for a graphic designer to draw 101 black & white digital mandalas (plus front cover), for a meditative colouring book to be published later this year.
Mandalas would be based on the author’s 101 reflections as a guideline.
Fee negotiable. Must be willing to Skype.
For more information please email Yoda at email@example.com
Discover SDI advertising!