Welcome to Discover newsletter! Your monthly resource for staying up to date and connected.
Many thanks to Sr. Jung Eun Sophia Park, SNJM, for her three years of service to Spiritual Directors International! Her term ends 30 June 2016.
Share your Wisdom
You are what makes SDI a unique and welcoming community! We want to hear from you and encourage you to share your wisdom by answering a question each month. We are listening. Before 31 May, we want to know:
Have you wondered about publishing your writing in a book format? Would you like an opportunity to talk with publishers about what material they are looking for and how they make decisions about what gets published?
SDI is exploring the opportunity to collaborate with Crossroads Publishing Company to offer a half-day workshop to educate participants about the publishing process. Would an event like this draw you to participate? What would you be interested in learning? Are you considering participating in the 2017 Seeking Connection conference in Toronto, Ontario, Canada? Share your response now.
Have you found a product or service among the Presence advertisers that has been helpful to you in the past year? Please share your experience. Send your comments to [email protected].
Do you need fresh ideas and contemplative suggestions to offer the people with whom you journey? Each month, SDI features resources you can incorporate in your spiritual care for yourself and others.
- Kathleen McAlpin, RSM, DMin, and Brian McDermott, SJ, reflect about a relationship with an intimate, personal God.
Questions this video addresses:
- What do you savor in your spiritual life? How do you let a spiritual experience linger?
- What does that communication with Divine look like for you?
- Does the term “cosmic reality” feel like an abstract concept to you? If so, how do you bring yourself to a concrete understanding of your personal spiritual relationship?
- Recordings from the 2016 SDI Emerging Wisdom conference are now available! Learn from the wisdom that was shared in San Diego, California, USA, from Greg Boyle, SJ; Mary Jo Leddy; Rabbi Art Green; and more!
Visit the SDI online store today to purchase. Topics include:
- Judaism as a Path of Love: Inner Mysticism and Outward Service
- Borderlands in the Spiritual Journey: Using the Enneagram to Care for Those Stuck Along the Way
- Walking Each Other Home: Companioning the Caregiver
- Ignatian Spiritual Exercises for Our Time
You need ongoing education in flexible, affordable formats, and Spiritual Directors International is the place to learn.
Breaking news! The 2017 educational events will be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 20–23 April 2017, where our theme will be “Seeking Connection.” SDI is now accepting workshop proposals for the conference. If you have a gift for facilitation and wisdom you would like to share, check out the workshop proposal form and guidelines today. Submissions are due by 6 June 2016.
Free Seeker Teleconference
As a seeker, are you curious about spiritual direction? Would you like to find a spiritual companion to help you listen for the ways God is inviting you to become more fully alive? Learn how to take the first step with SDI Interim Executive Director Larry Pennings and spiritual seekers around the world during a free teleconference on 17 May. RSVP today!
E-mail your answer to [email protected] by midnight Pacific Standard Time 16 May and enter to win an SDI goodie! Winner* will be notified 17 May and announced in the next month's issue of Discover.
Name the city, state/province, and country the 2017 Seeking Connection educational events will be held. HINT: dig around the website for some clues!
Our April winner was Lois Neal, who won a navy blue SDI tote bag! Congratulations, Lois
*Winner will be selected by a random-name-picker tool.
FREE BOOKLET OF REFLECTIONS: “Listen with the ear of your heart” Benedictine Reflections on Accepting the Embrace of God.
Short readings reflecting on some theological assumptions underlying the practice of spiritual direction. Access a PDF by clicking this link: http://www.csbsju.edu/sot/academics/spiritual-direction-program
For a hard copy, contact Becky Van Ness, Director, Certificate in Spiritual Direction, Saint John’s School of Theology at [email protected].
Your book or program could be shared with the world here! Discover advertising.