Welcome to Discover newsletter! Your monthly resource for staying up to date and connected.
Share your Wisdom
You are what makes SDI a unique and welcoming community! We want to hear from you and encourage you to share your wisdom by answering a question each month. We are listening.
Executive Director Anil Singh-Molares shared his thoughts on the Jewish High Holy Days and living life to the fullest on the SDI Blog. Take a moment to read his reflection and share what it stirs in you.
Have you found a product or service among the Presence advertisers that has been helpful to you in the past year? Please share your experience. Send your comments to email@example.com.
- Dr. Vivian A. Feintech and Rabbi Dayle A. Friedman, MSW, BCC, speak about wisdom in the Jewish tradition.
Questions this video addresses:
- What draws you to the practice of mapping out your own heart?
- Feintech and Friedman discuss the counting of the Omer—a Jewish spiritual practice counting each of the forty-nine days between Passover and Shavuot. What does this type of spiritual preparation mean for you? Do you have a spiritual exercise that is like the counting of the Omer?
- How do you slow down to experience the potential in a moment? Are there contemplative practices that you use regularly?
- Violence and injustice are rampant in the world. Ravi Verma, Karen Erlichman, and Cynthia Bailey Manns have begun a conversation at SDI about the role spiritual direction can have in increasing peace and justice in society. Listen to a recorded dialogue, read their recent article, and consider if you would like to join this ongoing conversation. For those interested, complete this short form to be contacted.
You need ongoing education in flexible, affordable formats, and Spiritual Directors International is the place to learn.
Do you know an inspiring spiritual companion under the age of forty? Applications are now being accepted for the 2017 New Contemplative cohort! The New Contemplatives Initiative gives spiritual directors in the first half of life the opportunity for continued education and community through a scholarship and bursary to the annual conference. If you are interested—or know someone who is—we encourage you to apply today! Application closes 4 November.
Registration for the 2017 Seeking Connection educational events in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is open! Take advantage of early-bird discounts and register now—space is limited. Read more information, learn about workshop options, book your hotel accommodations, and register today!
SDI Webinar: Listening to Children with a Spiritual Director’s Heart
Meditation and mindfulness can help young children feel more peaceful, calm, and reduce feelings of anxiety and worry. By introducing some simple strategies for reflection, gratitude, and listening, children can grow in self-awareness and resilience.
This webinar is designed to introduce parents, grandparents, and teachers to some simple mindfulness and meditation practices for young children. Register today!
E-mail your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight Pacific Standard Time 17 October and be entered to win an SDI goodie! Winner* will be notified 18 October and announced in the next month's issue of Discover.
What is the title of the upcoming October webinar? HINT: dig around the website for some clues!
Our September winner was Anne Murphy who received a copy of the SDI imprint book, Discerning Life Transitions: Listening Together in Spiritual Direction. Congratulations, Anne!
*Winner will be selected by a random-name-picker tool.
Finding Peace in Turbulent Times
A new e-course by Ted Falcon and Jamal Rahman
October 3–28, 2016
Rabbi Ted Falcon and Imam Jamal Rahman of the Interfaith Amigos help us explore why peace has been so elusive and how we might better achieve that peace in our lives and in our world. This e-course is full of ideas and practices for the last month of the U.S. presidential campaign. Read more and sign up here: http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/E-CourseFindingPeace