Scroll down to view answers to frequently asked questions. Don’t find what you’re looking for? E-mail your question to firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01-425-455-1565.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Who may participate in the educational events? Do I need to be a member of Spiritual Directors International to register?
Everyone curious about spiritual care and compassionate listening is encouraged to participate—you do not need to be a member, however SDI members receive a discount on event registration.
- Spiritual directors, companions, and guides
- Theology faculty and students
- Campus ministers from all spiritual traditions
- Pastoral and spiritual care providers
- Retreat center directors and retreat leaders
- Hospice and health care providers (nurses, doctors,
physician assistants, physical therapists, pharmacologists, etc.)
- Holistic body-mind-spirit health care providers
- Social workers
- Lay and ordained clergy
- Art therapists
- Mental health care providers
- Life coaches and mindfulness trainers
- Mindful lawyers, social justice workers, peacemakers
- Contemplatives in the first half of life
- Contemplatives in the second half of life
- Contemplatives who work in academic settings
- Centering prayer facilitators
- Courage and Renewal facilitators
- Work-life balance human resource personnel
Members of SDI receive discounted educational event tuition and more! Become a member of SDI during the educational event registration process and immediately receive the member discount. Everyone is welcome to join the inclusive SDI global learning community.
2. Are continuing education units (CEUs) available?
Continuing education units are available for those who participate in Spiritual Directors International’s educational events. If you are seeking credits for a self-reporting agency, you can request a certificate of participation in the evaluation following the educational events. Learn more about CEUs
3. Are scholarships and bursary funds available for conference tuition?
Yes. SDI encourages everyone who needs financial assistance to apply early for a scholarship or bursary, before you register for the conference. If you receive a scholarship or bursary, you will be e-mailed a voucher code that you can use in the online store that will apply the discount. Funds are available through the event scholarship and bursary fund for SDI members and through the New Contemplatives Initiative for participants under the age of forty.
1. To apply for financial assistance through the event scholarship and bursary fund, please fill out the event scholarship and bursary form.
2. To apply for a scholarship and bursary through the New Contemplatives Initiative, download the application and return it via e-mail to email@example.com by 4 November 2016. Applicants must be under the age of forty during the Seeking Connection conference 20–23 April 2017.
Please note: You must apply for financial assistance before you register for the conference. Financial requests submitted after you have registered will not be reviewed.
Do not register until you have been notified of the status of your financial request. There are no refunds available for those who request scholarships after they register. Financial assistance will be awarded through the event scholarship and bursary fund on a first-come, first-served basis for as long as funds are available. Scholarships and bursaries are not available for the institutes, pilgrimage, contemplative retreat, or hotel and travel costs. Scholarships and bursaries are only available for conference tuition.
What other resources might be available to help me pay for the conference? Past participants have received funds from their community, parish, congregation, association, or formation and training programs. Universities, health care providers, and human resource departments often have funds available for on-going education.
4. How can I contribute to the scholarship and bursary fund?
Thank you for making donations to the scholarship and bursary fund. You can make donations online or mail your cheque to:
SDI Educational Events Scholarship Fund
PO Box 3584
Bellevue, WA, 98009 USA
For many people, especially international participants, interns, and people on fixed incomes, participating in the educational events is not possible for financial reasons. Your generosity helps others in need. Thank you.
5. How do I register?
You can (1) register online or (2) print a registration form to mail or to fax. The fax number and mailing address are on the registration form and repeated here for your convenience.
Spiritual Directors International
PO Box 3584
Bellevue, WA 98009 USA
6. If I only want to participate in one workshop or one day of the conference, may I register for just one day?
No. For twenty-five years, SDI has been offering contemplative, educational programming. We take into consideration past evaluations, and they indicate that going gradually deeper with one topic as one body works best for building community and best reflects the needs of the contemplative, global learning community. SDI’s design intentionally creates a three-day experience during which new friendships and collegial relationships may form and old ones may be nourished.
While one-day passes are not available, SDI does two evenings that are open to the public. Community members are more than welcome to participate on Thursday, 20 April with Renee Thomas Hill as well as come to the contemplative concert on Saturday, 22 April.
7. Will worship services, such as Shabbat and Catholic Mass, be part of the educational events?
No. SDI is an increasingly diverse contemplative learning community. Individual participants may feel called to go offsite to local houses of worship. Arranging worship is the responsibility of individual participants.
During the scheduled educational events, we share sacred time together and participate in contemplative practices specifically designed to celebrate our diverse learning community and model contemplative practices that might be helpful in spiritual direction.
A peaceful onsite meditation space will be available during the conference.
8. May I share brochures or business cards about my program or organization?
Yes. All participants are invited to bring brochures and program materials to share with everyone. Table space is provided, free of charge, for conference participants who want to share information. If you have more information you want to share or you are interested in selling artwork or books, check out the exhibitor and sponsor page for details.
9. I have additional questions about the Seeking Connection educational events. Whom shall I contact?
You may contact us via e-mail, telephone, or fax: