Call for Papers: Spiritual Direction Without Borders Research Symposium - Melbourne, Australia
Spiritual Directors International, with the support of the Patrick and Anthony Wright Foundation. is excited to announce the call for papers for the inaugural SDI Research Symposium, titled “Spiritual Direction without Borders” to be held at the Catholic Leadership Centre in Melbourne 21st and 22nd August 2019.
We welcome students, academics, researchers and practitioners at all levels from around Australia and the Asia -Pacific region to participate as we come together to share knowledge and forge research networks.
The 2019 SDI Research Symposium will include:
- Keynote presentations based on the theme of “Spiritual Direction without Borders” in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region
- Panel discussions providing themed provocations for researchers focused upon the inherent challenges of undertaking research on the topic of spirituality and spiritual direction in academic settings.
- Roundtable-style discussions—sharing and debating research on the topic of spirituality and spiritual direction.
- Additional presentations showcasing innovative and thought-provoking theoretical or methodological perspectives.
Please complete the online submission below by 8 February 2019. Successful applicants will be notified in March 2019.
Successful presenters will receive a free registration for the event.
About the research symposium
This academically accredited symposium invites researchers in the field of spiritual direction and spirituality to present their findings to the broader spiritual direction community. The project seeks to promote exploration of spirituality and spiritual direction within and beyond the boundaries of current understanding and expression. The symposium will embrace a range of religious traditions and spiritual perspectives while seeking to find a way to accommodate the distinctive nature of spiritual direction within the range of traditions.
About the Patrick and Anthony Wright Foundation
Established in 2015 by brothers Patrick and Anthony Wright, the foundation seeks to advance and disseminate the scholarship of spiritual direction complemented by academic disciplines such as spirituality, theology and psychology. For more information please visit http://www.wrightformationfund.com/. SDI acknowledges the kind donation from the foundation to establish this and subsequent events.
The research symposium will be held at the Catholic Leadership Centre – 576 Victoria Parade, East Melbourne
Call for Research Round Table Proposals and Academic Papers:
Round Table Proposals
This will be an individual paper presentation of 30 minutes (including a five-minute Q&A on that paper) given as an oral, roundtable-style discussion by a single presenter or team of presenters.
Roundtable presentations will not have access to AV and should prepare for a discussion format. A facilitator will be assigned to each themed group to assist in a group discussion once all papers have been presented.
Guidelines for submissions
Please download this form. Fill it out and submit to this email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Each author is requested to attach a digital photo (head and shoulders). Proposals must be received no later than February 8, 2019.
We ask that you please include:
- The names of the speaker(s), your position title(s) and your organisation/affiliation(s)
- Contact details (mailing address); contact phone numbers (work and mobile) and email address)
- Presenter information 100 words (for inclusion in the conference program e.g. qualification(s) and work experience
- A brief history of your interest in and work within the field of spiritual direction and/or spirituality
- The title of your presentation;
- Session outcomes
- 5 key words/themes which your paper aims to address
- In no more than 250 words a brief summary of your presentation, including your target audience
- The relevance of your paper to the conference theme; Spiritual Direction Without Borders
- The name, contact phone number and email address of reference no 1
- The name contact phone number and email address of reference no 2
- Roundtable selection criteria will be based on:
- Relevance to the symposium theme
- Treatment of theoretical or methodological perspective
- Congruence between aims of the project or research questions and/or focus of inquiry
- Clarity of explanation of research methods and/or analytical and/or theoretical framework, in brief
- Strength of emphasis on research findings and/or translation to practice and contribution to the field.
Publication of papers
Besides presenting, some authors will be invited to publish full-length papers for inclusion in Spiritual Directors International's peer-reviewed publication Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction.
All papers accepted for publication will be submitted to the established peer review process, which will be conducted by the Presence Editorial Committee.
Please note: there is no publication guarantee. This means papers can still be rejected or be held for later publication.