Frequently Asked Questions: Schools
- How do I become a member of SDI?
- Does SDI endorse and certify its members?
- How much does it cost to become a member of SDI?
- What are the benefits of membership with SDI?
- Does SDI offer liability insurance?
- I feel called to become a spiritual director. Where can I pursue spiritual director education?
- How do I reach the members of SDI to tell them about my program, publication, etc.?
1. How do I become a member of SDI?
There are three ways to activate your membership with SDI:
- Activate or renew membership using SDI's secure online store.
- Download a membership order form and send in a check by mail.
- Call (0)1-425-455-1565 and the SDI office staff will happily assist you.
2. Does SDI endorse and certify its members?
No, SDI does not endorse or recommend individual spiritual directors. Qualifications of SDI members and all information in the Seek and Find Guide is not verified by SDI.
3. How much does it cost to become a member of SDI?
Read more about membership rates and benefits.
- Cost for membership within the United States and Canada is USD$79.
- Cost for membership outside of the United States and Canada is USD$69.
- Cost for student membership is USD$59 (proof of student status required).
If it is difficult for you to afford membership dues (for example, in case of illness, unemployment, retirement with limited resources, or other crisis), please let us know that you would like to apply for a scholarship for the coming year. We value your participation in our community and want to make it possible for you to stay actively involved with SDI through your changing circumstances.
4. What are the benefits of membership with SDI?
Benefits of SDI membership include:
- Listing in Seek and Find Guide: A Worldwide Resource of Available Spiritual Directors
- Being part of a worldwide contemplative movement
- Global and local networking
- Subscription to Presence, Listen, and Connections
- Discounted liability insurance
- Discounts on educational events and gatherings
Read more about member benefits on the Benefits of Membership page.
Become a member of SDI and join the global movement of spiritual direction!
5. Does SDI offer liability insurance?
SDI does not provide or underwrite liability insurance, nor does SDI have an opinion as to whether liability insurance is needed or appropriate for individual members. As an educational not-for-profit that supports the global ministry of spiritual direction, SDI provides information about liability insurance for those members. Each spiritual companion needs to determine with the guidance of his or her own legal and insurance advisors whether liability insurance is advisable.
6. I feel called to become a spiritual director. Where can I pursue spiritual director education?
Find spiritual direction formation and training (FT) programs on the FT online map.
7. How do I reach the members of Spiritual Directors International to tell them about my program, publication, etc.?
There are many ways you can share your message with the global learning community of SDI:
- Place an ad in Presence. Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction is read by more than five thousand people interested in spiritual guidance, including members of SDI.
- Place an ad in Connections Connections, the official newsletter of SDI, is written by and for the members of SDI and published three times a year.
- Place an ad in Listen. In Listen: A Seeker's Resource for Spiritual Direction, you can place a display ad or a line listing in the "Global Resources" section. Listen is published quarterly and distributed to more than ten thousand seekers, caplains, campus ministers, and spiritual directors, including members of SDI.
View all advertising options on the How to Advertise page of the SDI website.